Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quit my Job

Don’t get me wrong, I actually like my job. I even considered myself a little lucky that I found a career that I am both really good at and enjoy.  It is also, thankfully, a job I can do anywhere in the world.  That’s what first drew me to English as a Second Language (ESL) teaching.  I’ve been teaching for 10 years now, and for the most part I love it.
But, it’s not my passion. It is simply something I got into in order to travel the world and make money.  Traveling is my passion, but you don’t very well make money simply traveling, unfortunately. But my other passion, is what I’m doing right now, writing. 
I write short stories, flash fiction, and poetry. I am working on a novel called This Story Takes Place in a Bar, for which I now have nearly 50,000 words.  I get up at 5:30 most mornings in order to write for two hours before I go to my day job. It works for me, but it is not ideal.  It kind of sucks to have to leave in the middle of a really good part because I have to go to work. Two hours a day is more than I’ve ever been able to dedicate to my writing, but it is still not enough. It is never enough.

My ultimate goal, of course, is getting my novel published, having the world read my writing and being validated as a writer.  Along with all of this, is a rather large paycheck.  Then, I quit my day job. I’ll have full days to write whatever I want. I’ll travel the world and find inspiration everywhere. Then, I’ll write all about it. But first, I have to quit my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment