Monday, April 13, 2015

J is for Join the Peace Corps



When I was in high school, I was voted most likely to join the Peace Corp.  It made sense. At the time, it seemed like a very good way to see the world.  What eventually turned me off back then was the two year time commitment.  Even after college, two years seemed like too long to commit to anything. Then I moved to Chile to teach. I had no return flight. I ended up returning nearly two years later. It didn’t seem that long after all.

What I like most about the Peace Corps is their intensive language program. I would hope to go somewhere Spanish speaking so as to continue my language learning, though it’s not exactly the volunteer’s choice. The two year commitment still seems a bit overwhelming at times, but now I envision going when I older, perhaps retired and with a partner to join me. I hear they prefer couples because they’re much more likely to stay the full two years.  Perhaps one day I will fulfill my high school destiny and join the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment