Thursday, November 27, 2014

Top Ten Highlights of my Cuban Adventure Part II

5. Havana Club Rum
I know this may not be a highlight for many, but for me, it was a huge part of the reason I wanted to travel to Cuba. I am a huge fan of rum, especially a Cuba Libre, and the fact that Havana Club is forbidden in The United States of America made it all the more enticing. I’ve tried a lot of rums to discover my favorites and Havana Club has remained the all elusive bottle amongst bottles.  It was time a discovered what all the hype was about.
While traveling in Cuba, I had the opportunity to drink a Cuba Libre in the country it is named after, kind of a dream come true; right up there with a Singapore Sling in Singapore or a Long Island Iced Tea in Long Island.  I also was able to drink the luscious liquor morning, noon and night if I chose. It was often more plentiful and available than water, even coming in convenient juice boxes for traveling on the go.  I visited the distillery where it is made and watched sugar cane pressed into juice to make the liquor.  I was also able to get three bottles back to the United States where I can indulge in it whenever I want which is sparingly because of the worry I may never get it again.
If you are in Cuba you would be remiss not to try some of the magical liquor, either in a famous Cuba Libre or an equally delicious true mojito.

4. Cave Pools
I explored several caves throughout my time in Cuba. Nearly every one had some sort of pool in it, some only the size of a small hot tub, others the length of a full size swimming pool.  I took full advantage of each underground pool I came upon.  And true to my traveling motto, I never regretted it.  The pools were often a mix of fresh and salt water coming in through the ocean and always refreshing, if a bit cool.
It is still amazing to me that a whole other world exists below ground.  Huge caves filled with secret passageways that lead to sparkling, clear lagoons and ponds. I felt a bit like a little child each time I entered the caves, like I was discovering something new and unknown for the first time. I would have never have known these caves existed were it not for a well trained guide.

3. Cave Bar- Disco Ayala
I had heard of the cave bar even in my planning for Cuba and lots throughout my trip.  I was excited to get to Trinidad and see what all the hype was about. I was able to go with the Germans I had met in the casa in Trinidad who had also had it on their list of top sites.
Disco Ayala was like nothing I could have imagined. It was huge and sprawling and entirely underground. Electricity was pumped in to provide lights and music, otherwise it would have been pitch black and a bit scary. As we sat at our table watching the live dancers, we were constantly reminded of the fact that we were in a cave by the dripping of water on us from the roof of cave. 
It was an experience like none other, one I highly recommend.  It is not often one gets to drink a Cuba Libre in a giant underground cave bar.

2. El Nicho Waterfall
Waterfalls are a lot easier to spot than caves, and I search for them wherever I travel. I’ve seen and swam in some pretty amazing ones, but none compare to El Nicho waterfall located between the cities of Trinidad and Cienfuegos in Cuba
I went very early in the morning and avoided the crowds and the entrance fee. I hiked just a little ways through the park before I came to the first of the falls. I stood in awe. There were three falls falling into about seven natural pools.  It looked made up. I immediately stripped down to my bikini to plunge into the pools.  It was still a bit chilly that early in the morning, but again, you never regret a swim and this one was no different.  I wanted to take advantage of the solitude the early morning allowed me and enjoy the pools on my own.
After swimming all around, I got out and sat on a bench to do some writing near the falls. I was soon attached by mosquitoes, really the first of my trip, and decided to keep exploring the park. I took several paths that led along rivers and ended at more falls. Each one was a bit bigger and more impressive than the last.  These falls are absolutely a must see and I recommend going as early as you can as big tour groups come in hoards later in the morning.

1. Cenote Diving
I am a SCUBA diver and I’ve dived lots of places around the world, yet I hadn’t heard of cenote diving till a friend told me he’d done it in Mexico. I couldn’t even believe such a   thing existed and instantly knew I had to try it.  This was another reason I choose to visit Cuba where the country is 70% limestone and full of caves to dive in. 
I was pretty nervous and wasn’t even sure I would do it after my third ocean dive in Cuba. It was a little spur of the moment when I told my Dive Master I would in fact be going with them on the cenote dive, so much so that they didn’t have enough flashlights once I decided I’d go.
I’m not exactly claustrophobic, but I’m not a fan of being in places I can’t easily get out of- a cave dive was exactly this. Add a finite amount of air to breathe should I not be able to get out of said tiny space and it was enough to scare the daylights out of me. And with no flashlight, that was about right.
But I did it. And it was truly amazing.  I am a fan of new experiences and possess a keen awareness of how very few we get in our lifetime. Cave diving brought with it all the excitement and joy the first Christmas you can actually remember might.   It was absolutely out of this world. 
After descending, we had to pass through a very narrow tunnel to get to where the cave opened up. As we swam around, we aimed our flashlights up and down (the Dive Master gave me his) and looked at the various stalagmites and stalactites hanging from the top and bottom of the cave.  There were no fish to see, which was different than every other dive I’d done, but it didn’t matter, I was in a cave diving!
The best part was upon our return where from above a tiny sliver of sun shone through and penetrated all the way to the bottom of the 70 some foot cave.  It was spectacular. Each individual ray shone bright and deep like jewels sparkling. We each hung there for a long time just admiring it. It was truly like nothing I’ve ever seen and is something I will never forget.

When we ascended, I was speechless, underwater I was too of course, but above, when I finally could speak, I had no words.  If I can encourage divers to do anything, it would be to dive a cenote… doesn’t have to be in Cuba, but wherever you can.   

No comments:

Post a Comment