Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Cuban Blog Day #23 Spend All Your Money

I was taking a taxi to the airport at noon, so I woke early and enjoyed my last few hours in Havana.  I needed to find a post office to mail the rest of my postcards. I wanted them to be postmarked from Cuba and not Mexico. Finding a place to mail them was surprisingly harder than I expected. I asked a man with a family where one was, and they ended up running around Havana with me, going in and out of various buildings looking for a place that would mail out my postcards.
We never found one and I thanked them for their help and continued on. I finally found a post office on a corner. I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t actually make it home because the guy there was a little shady and took my cards rather secret like. I paid him for the stamps which I watched him put on and hoped they’d make it back.
I went to the plaza and people watched for a bit. I had been noticing all sorts of street dogs with collars on them, though appearing to have no owner about. I inquired about the dogs in one of the museums, and the lady there told me that they take care of them. Various businesses take it upon themselves to care for the many stray dogs all about. They put collars on them so they are marked and feed them. She told me the museum had five dogs. They were all sunning themselves just outside the museum doors. I though it was such a great and kind thing to do.
I went to the Chocolate Café one last time, roamed about different businesses trying to get more Che coins to take back as souvenirs and gifts. I got a lot of strange looks doing this, but I didn’t care. I ended up with 8 coins. I bought a small bought of three year Havana Club to see if I could get it back with me.
I headed back to the casa, packed up and waited for the taxi.  It is always bittersweet to leave a place. I enjoyed my time in Cuba immensely, yet at the same time I was ready to be done traveling and be home in my own bed with my cats.
At the airport, I had my bags Saran wrapped. It was advice I’d gotten before I left. A friend told me, especially coming back from Cuba into Mexico, to have it done so that items do not get stolen out of it. It was $8 CUC, which I thought was excessive, but I had several CUC leftover which I wasn’t sure I’d be able to exchange in Mexico anyway, so I decided to be safe.
I waited in a super long line to check in, and then another to pay airport tax, $25 CUC, and then another to go through some sort of customs. I wasn’t quite sure what it was as I’ve never had to do that when leaving a country, only when entering.  They took my visa, which I was quite sad about because I had hoped I’d have that to keep in lieu of an actual passport stamp.  The lady nearly stamped my passport, but I noticed in time to tell her not to, and instead she stamped my boarding pass, now, the only proof I had that I had been. I then had to pay tax on my art, $3 CUC for each piece. If I had known this, I would have tried to fit it all into my suitcase.
I was glad to have arrived three hours early to the airport. After waiting in all the lines, I barely had time to take a book out to read before the announcement to board. It was a short flight back to Cancun, and I slept most of the way.
In Cancun, I tried to exchange my remaining CUC. I had thought that surely they would take the CUC, but not the peso national. They wouldn't take either, so I was stuck with about $30 US worth of CUC. (Anybody headed to Cuba soon?)
I waited for a bus to take me into town and ended up staying in the same hostel I did when I first arrived. They even remembered me.  I stayed in my room and enjoyed having the internet for the first time in nearly a month.


Traveling Tip #26 Spend all your money-  It is always difficult to know exactly how much money to exchange when traveling.  You do not want to exchange too much and then have to exchange back, thus losing lots in the back and forth.  I ended up sticking at or under my budget the whole way, exchanging about $500 US per week.  What through me off, was knowing about the $25 CUC tax I would have to pay at the airport and not having anything less than $100 Canadian bill to exchange. I’d used up all my $50s in an effort to lighten my money belt some.  I also really thought there’d be no problem exchanging CUC for Mexican pesos once I was there. After all, what do Cubans do when they come to Mexico? So, if you’re coming to Cuba, unless you’re planning to return, spend all your CUC in Cuba.  

No comments:

Post a Comment