Monday, July 7, 2014

Cuban Blog #10 Queer as a Three Dollar Bill and Post Cards?

Bayamo, Cuba is a beautiful, artsy city.  I spent a leisurely day roaming the streets and plazas. Along the cobbled paseos the lamp posts and other ugly disturbances are cleverly disguised with sculptures of paint tubes and brushes.

During my walk, my eyes were always searching for the #44. I found a house number 444. I got a picture with me covering the first four to remember my 44th country. This is a tradition I’ve only just begun. I can’t wait for all the creative ways I can find numbers for each country I visit.

I found a restaurant for lunch where I paid in pesos national for the first time. So cheap. I also got peso ice cream. 

I walked around and finally found a shop with some great postcards. I sat in the plaza and wrote out a few.  At the post office, I sent them off hoping they would reach the United States, a little worried that perhaps the embargo went that far, even though the woman at the counter assured me they would make it.

I went to Bar Esquina, which happened to be in the guide. There, Alberto made a proper mojito, actually using the muddler to bring out the flavor and aroma of the mint. I stayed and chatted with Alberto most of the evening. 

At one point another patron sitting at the bar next to me gave me a three dollar peso national bill. I’d not seen it before. I was surprised and happy to find the face of Che Guevara smiling back at me.  He gave it to me as a gift and I placed it carefully in my guidebook for safekeeping.  He seemed quite proud of this gift though I didn’t understand why at the time.  I thought it was very kind.

 

Traveling tip #12 and #13

 

#12 Yes, there are three dollar bills in Cuba. Yes, they depict Che Guevara, hero of Cuba.  There is also a 3 peso coin with his face on it. I collected these wherever I went, asking people to change in their coins for my bills because I wanted to give them as gifts once I returned. It was difficult to find anyone with the coins.  I ended up with about 10 coins and three bills.

The story I received, though I am not certain of my understand due to the language barrier, is that very soon the country will be changing over to a new peso national and for this reason, everyone, not just tourists, is hoarding the bills and coins.  Get there while you can and get them while they last.

 

#13 Friend and family did receive my postcards, albeit nearly two months later, well after I’d returned and settled back into life in The United States, and well after I had given up all hope of them ever reaching the land of the free. So send postcards, you’re friends will never receive anything cooler in the mail, so I’ve been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment