Sunday, April 20, 2014

P is for Panama

10 Things I loved about Panama

 

  1. Diving- Some of the cheapest diving in the world is in Panama. I had thought Honduras had that racket till I got to Panama.  Each dive I went on was just me, the dive master and one other diver. We saw more sharks than I ever have in my life. Awesome!
  2. Using the US dollar- So nice when you don’t have to figure out the exchange rate, or fear you’ve calculated it wrong and gotten ripped off.
  3. Bocas Del Toro- Tiny little islands everywhere, where the main mode of transportation is water taxis.  I would take one to a different island each day and often have the dock and water to myself.  I’d lay in the sun reading and jump into the water every so often to cool off. Absolutely my idea of paradise.  I planned to stay just a few days and ended up staying over a week.
  4. The beer there is called Soberana. I think that is funny.
  5. It was the first place I saw a wild blue and gold macaw, ironically Honduras’ national bird.
  6. Boquete- A tiny little mountain town that reminded me of Fort Collins. The air was fresh and it was so much cooler than the rest of the country. A welcome relief. Plus they had their own version of cows on parade.
  7. The brightly painted chicken busses.
  8. Being able to drink Flor De Cana in lieu of Ron Abuelo, Panama’s poor excuse for a rum.
  9. Anticipating the reunion of my friend Karen Crone and two of her sisters in Costa Rica. Crossing the border on foot.
  10. Isla San Cristobal – Some of the clearest waters and so many starfishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment